The Department of Labor is taking claims for the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) program. The program covers those who are self-employed, or otherwise ineligible for traditional state unemployment benefits.
The Department of Labor uses the telephonic service, Language Link, and callers who do not speak English can call 1-800-593-7660 for assistance in another language. For questions about PUA specifically, please call 1-888-413-0820. Language Link is available on both lines. The PUA phone line will be open from 8-3 Monday thru Friday, and may be discontinued after Friday. More information can be found on the PUA webpage: www.maine.gov/unemployment/pua.
Applications for PUA opened on Friday, May 1. People who have been self-employed should do the following:
- Create a ReEmployME account
- Verify your email address in ReEmployME – click on the Benefit Maintenance menu and follow the instructions to receive a confirming email
- Sign up for direct deposit – also through the Benefit Maintenance menu. This is faster than the debit card option
- File your PUA claim – through the Unemployment Claim menu
- File your weekly certification for any weeks after your loss of employment
- Continue filing your weekly certification every week