Marwa Hassanien has been voted chair of the Bangor School Committee for the 2021-22 term. First elected in 2019, Hassanien has served on the United Technologies Center, Dropout Prevention, and Diversity Equity, and Inclusion committees, and was vice chair in 2020-21. She and City Councilor Angela Okafor were instrumental in creating the Bangor School Department’s DEI Committee and the City of Bangor’s Advisory Committee on Racial Equity, Inclusion, and Human Rights. Hassanien is system director for diversity, equity, and inclusion at Northern Light Healthcare.
- Broad coalition calls state to provide coordinated services for asylum seekers
- Racism in Maine: Equity progressing, but slowly
- Registration for TPS opens for eligible Afghans
- Portland High School student Luzia Vumpa earns award in the Make It Happen! Program
- Xenophobia does not tell the full story of migration in South Africa